[TangerineSDR] In pursuit of low noise: fiber USB cables?

John Ackermann N8UR jra at febo.com
Tue Feb 27 15:30:53 EST 2024

Hi Tom --

I think you're absolutely right on #3.  After fiddling with the cables
that noise seems to have largely gone away.  But we have other noise
sources in the building, and moving the radio 100 or so feet away can't
hurt.  And besides, it sounds like a cool idea!

A DC power line would go along with the fiber.  It would be regulated
and filtered at the far end to provide the required voltages.  Hopefully
with shielded twisted pair, good PSRR regulators etc., you could keep
that from contributing much noise.

I don't know if the cable I linked to is anything like the best choice;
more research would be needed on that.  There are solutions that cost
from <$100 to >$1500.  There are also 10 Gbit and even some 20 Gbit
converters available if 5 Gbit isn't enough.

73,
John
----