[TangerineSDR] In pursuit of low noise: fiber USB cables?

John Ackermann N8UR jra at febo.com
Tue Feb 27 11:25:38 EST 2024

I had the idea last night that we could put an RX888 and GPSDO at the
base of our active antenna and run an optical USB3 cable back to the
host computer. That would move the radio far away from all the computers
and other noise in the shack. The only copper connection would be for
power, and we could filter the hell out of that.

Something like this:
https://www.amazon.com/Elecan-Extension-Extender-Transfer-Keyboard/dp/B0BNGW5225/ref=asc_df_B0BNGW5225

might do the trick. (Note -- I don't know if 5gbps is sufficient for the
RX888, but if not there are 10 and 10 gb cables available for more money.)

A challenge is powering the transceiver at the far end, but that
shouldn't be too hard to do.

Has anyone considered this?

73,
John