[TangerineSDR] [hamsci-grape] Re: 3-Channel VLF SDR Backend System

John Gibbons jcg66 at case.edu
Mon Aug 14 14:43:48 EDT 2023

Jonathan,

The absolute accuracy of the 1PPS synchronization lies exactly between 1-2
sync clock cycles (crossing over clock domains requires this to prevent
metastability - you must do this as well!)
so my 1PPS is always between 125-250 nSec (8 MHz clk) from the 50 nSec
window that the UBLOX gives me for absolute timing of the 1PPS signal.

The derived sample clock, however, is deadly accurate as it is also derived
from the UBLOX freq output so it will easily hold 1x10^-10 accuracy and on
an 8 KHz sample clock it guarantees me to be within 12.5 aSec (yes 10^-15
sec).  Since I presume you're using the on board clock for your A/D card
you will be at least 4 orders of magnitude worse as quartz xtals (or even
worse a resonator!) are not so good (not to mention temp drift that will
eat you alive...).

The sample clock is very important as it determines your A/D sample freq
hence directly affects any timing / frequency measurements you extract from
your data.
For us it directly affects the freq measurement of the carrier freq and
needs to be pretty darn good (12.5 aSec is pretty respectable).

What is your freq ref standard for the A/D sample clock?  Is it GPS DO'd?
Is it synced to the 1PPS?

John N8OBJ