[TangerineSDR] Bi-Weekly HamSCI Telecon This Thursday

Dev Joshi devrj12 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 4 09:31:01 EST 2021

Hi HamSCI,

This week is our bi-weekly HamSCI telecon on Thursday, * Mar 4th *at 2000z
/ 3 PM Eastern.

Here is the link:
https://scranton.zoom.us/j/286316405?pwd=QWdwMlFPbDlYeXg5ZDg1dmYzeFdCUT09

If you are asked for a password, it is “hamsci”.

Diego Sanchez,  will give us an update on his recent results from high
frequency amateur radio transmissions.

Best,
Dev

*Using high frequency amateur radio transmissions to detect and study
travelling ionospheric disturbances*

D. Sanchez1,2, N. A. Frissell3, G. W. Perry1, A. Coster4, P. J. Erickson4,
W. Engelke5, J. M. Ruohoniemi6, and J. B. H. Baker6

1Center for Solar-Terrestrial Research, New Jersey Institute of Technology,
Newark, NJ, USA

2Essex County College, Newark, NJ, USA

3University of Scranton, Scranton, PA, USA

4MIT Haystack Observatory, Westford, MA, USA

5University of Alabama, Tuscaloosa, AL, USA

6Virginia Tech., Blacksburg, VA, USA

Citizen radio science is an emerging field largely driven by the
proliferation of software defined radio systems, the reduction in cost of
radio hardware, and the technical expertise and tireless passion of the
amateur radio community. Two remarkable examples of the amateur radio
community’s ingenuity are the Weak Signal Propagation Report Network
(WSPRnet) and Reverse Beacon Network (RBN). The former is a digital signal
protocol that allows for the identification of open propagation high
frequency (HF; 3 – 30 MHz) radio channels between amateur operators, while
the latter is a passive receiver network that detects HF amateur radio
transmissions and records metadata related to each transmission. In this
work, we demonstrate how data collected by both projects can be used to
detect and study large scale travelling ionospheric disturbances (LSTIDs)
over the contiguous United States. First, in a case study, we show that the
LSTIDs signatures detected with WSPRnet and RBN are also present in
contemporaneous Global Navigation Satellite System (GNSS) and ionosonde
measurements. Then, we present the results of an analysis of 2017 WSPRnet
and RBN data to show that the LSTIDs are more often present during the
winter months (November through February), which is consistent with
previous work based on Super Dual Auroral Radar Network (SuperDARN)
measurements. A clear benefit of the WSPRnet and RBN citizen science
observations is that they enable the expansion of the coverage area for the
detection of TIDs and other solar-terrestrial physics phenomena to mid and
low geographic latitudes, complementing the measurements provided by other
instruments such as SuperDARN, whose coverage is more concentrated to
higher latitudes, where fewer WSPRnet and RBN nodes exist due to the sparse
population of these regions.

Dev Joshi, Ph.D., KC3PVE
Postdoctoral Research Associate
Department of Physics and Engineering