[TangerineSDR] RFI and PSWS Magnetometer

Ward Silver hwardsil at gmail.com
Thu Jun 3 09:50:45 EDT 2021

(Changing the thread title to something more descriptive...)

> Jonathan,
> If necessary, we could probably reduce the i2c bus speed and still
> easily meet the 1 per second magnetometer polling rate currently in use.
> Jules-K2KGJ

RFI from the digital data stream would be mostly generated by the edges of
the I2C pulses and isn't really affected much by the bit rate.  The edges
have to remain sharp, so not a lot of relief there.  I guess intermittent
polling would result in bursts of RF which might be an improvement.

I want to mention that we probably don't have a serious RFI.  As Bill
noted, the receive antenna is quite close to the unit and it is not an
enormous increase in the noise floor.

At this point, having noted a potential issue, I think the focus should be
on proper metallic enclosures and shielding, including cable connectors,
along with careful connections between the chassis and enclosure, in the
configuration we expect to actually be deployed.  Once that is available,
more testing can be performed.

73, Ward N0AX