[TangerineSDR] [HamSCI] Merry Christmas! SAQ Grimeton Christmas Eve Transmission

Jonathan emuman100 at gmail.com
Sat Dec 25 19:31:59 EST 2021

Hi John,

Thank you! I cannot thank you enough for this great idea to filter it
further. There is a lot of local interference. vtfilter’s bandpass filter
is a brick wall filter and when I tried to filter the spectrum further, I
didn’t get a good enough result. The bandpass filter that sox uses is a
two-pole Butterworth filter and worked much better! I used “sox -v 20
SAQ122421.wav SAQ122421_20Hz.wav bandpass 493 20” and encoded to mp3. The
file can be downloaded at
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1KgLsOCMnkfhC5yBDN0bz8N0WOLn5uXZa/view

vlfrx-tools has a a few spectrum analyzing utilities and I was able to look
at the non-coherent spectrum integrated over the duration of the
transmission. It generated a plot with a little peak about 3 magnitudes
above the noise floor. Plot below:

I compared it to another plot created by Paul that shows a similar peak at
the same frequency. My spectrum plot is attached showing the peak of SAQ’s
carrier. To generate the plot: vtread -T 2021-12-24_07:46:00,+16m
/data/vlf_96k > SAQ122421_96k_spec.vt and plotted 1:2 in gnuplot.

Thank you again for your confirmation!!

Jonathan
KC3EEY