[TangerineSDR] Magnetometer Testing

David Witten wittend at wwrinc.com
Sun Nov 1 15:01:49 EST 2020

Hello all,

I apologise for not being very responsive lately.  I have been plodding
along slowly, but some days have been much better than others for getting
stuff done.
I have been testing boards against the known-good boards returned to me by
David McGaw.  This has been very helpful.
I have been working on containment like Jules is using, but I'm using 2
inch Schedule 40 white PVC pipe and fittings.  I'm using this because
Scottie's magnetometer board is wider than any of the early prototypes, and
I'm hoping this will serve for all cases.  I'm eager for any discussion on
what the 'standard' should be.  I hate to deviate from what jules is using,
but somehow it seems inevitable.  I hope that this is not an impediment to
getting comparable results.
The 2 inch pipe fits nicely in the largest hole made by the drill-based
garden auger set I bought.
The first hole I have made is about 2 meters (maybe less) from the
foundation of my house.  I will need to get someone to help me when I put a
hole at the full distance from my house, because my lot is currently too
steep for me to navigate.  At that point, my installation will also be in
shaded woods.

My feeling is that we should get as many of these in the ground and
measuring as possible, especially in situations where we can compare the
measurements apples to apples.
I'm sure that we badly want to know at least three things:
1) Inter-sensor variability in identical settings.
2) Inter-sensor variability in somewhat different locations.
3) How do Scotties boards compare to the prototypes we have.

I'd like to hear any suggestions folks feel we should pursue.

Dave Witten, KD0EAG