[TangerineSDR] Ferrous Metal connectors on Mag boards and SBCs

Julius Madey hillfox at fairpoint.net
Sat May 30 11:30:53 EDT 2020

Dave,
I hadn't either until I saw the note from Phil.  I've been using your
original small adapter board with the Quicc connectors so haven't run
into the issue yet.

Two shielded RJ45 PC through hole jacks in my parts drawer, made by
BERG, have non ferrous shields.  Couldn't find the BERG part on line but
DigiKey carries several candidates.  One is AMP 5558342-1, the data
sheet for which shows phosphor bronze as the shield material.  Since the
shields on the RJ jacks of the three SBC's I have are all non-ferrous,
it may be that for RJ45's, non-ferrous construction is the usual.

With regard to the shielded RJ plugs on the extension cable, since the
current recommendation seems to be to only tie the shield to ground at
the 'local' end, it's possible to remove the shield on the plug at the
remote end; just did that with one of mine.

Jules