[TangerineSDR] DX Engineering ARAV3-2P ground decoupling

Mike Naruta AA8K aa8k at comcast.net
Mon Mar 2 17:20:07 EST 2020

I am reluctant to bring this up again, but perhaps someone is
going to the Dayton Hamvention or other event where they can ask
DX Engineering about the decoupling.  The ARAV3-2P is intended
for mounting with one connection to a ground rod and one
connection to a 8.5 foot vertical whip.

We were considering a four horizontal whip assembly forming two
orthogonal dipoles.

My concern is that the two 'ground' whips will share a
connection and act as two 'V' antennas instead of just dipoles,
interfering with polarization reception.  The manual shows that
the feed line 'F' connector appears to be insulated from the
enclosure; however, the +12 volt DC voltage to the matching unit
is delivered via the feed line.

I contacted DX Engineering on September 14th last year and asked
them if their 'Ant -' connector on the AVA-2 Matching Unit had a
galvanic connection to the feedline or enclosure.

Bob, W5OV, was kind enough to reply and asked about our
application.  I gave him more information.

Bob said, 'I won't be able to verify it until Monday, but I
believe the feedline F connector is isolated from ground.'

I waited to hear back and on December 6th I sent a reminder to
DX Engineering about the question.  I have not received anything
from DX Engineering as of March 2nd.

Mike - AA8K