[TangerineSDR] TangerineSDR logo suggestion

Mike Naruta AA8K aa8k at comcast.net
Mon Jan 20 12:59:15 EST 2020

Thank you for the comments on my logo suggestion.  I’ll share
with the group.

The local Kroger store had a good citrus selection, but no
tangerines.  I settled for this fruit [I believe that it is a
tangelo] because of the roughly spherical shape.  I set it on my
front porch on a partly cloudy day and this photo was a good
exposure of sunshine and diffusion.

The intent of the photo is to convey ‘tangerine’ at first
glance.  The other layers are subdued and the transparency/color
can be individually adjusted.

I had the most difficulty with the magnetic lines.  I am a
novice with GIMP and my first effort was unsatisfactory.  I even
tried to show solar wind effects.  I was not pleased with the
work.

I was tempted to use one of the many existing works of magnetic
field, but wanted to make sure that the photo contained no
copyrighted items.  It would have been fun to use Gary
Glatzmaier’s work.

This latest version, 28, uses this NASA animation for
inspiration.  In frustration I finally used a calculator with
the cursor X and Y coordinates and then tweaked the Bézier curve
paths.   I wanted to add more lines, but the existing ones
represent hours of effort.

The red sprite and blue jet have less luminosity than the
aurora, so they a quite dim in my effort.  If we do not draw
attention to the sprite and jet, it can be our ‘Easter egg’ for
others to discover.

I have uploaded the GIMP 2.10 xcf file [9 MB] to the location of
our TeamSpeak recording files.  You are welcome to export/modify
it.  Be sure that you do not use an older version of GIMP; it
does not understand some of the 2.10 xcf format features.

Mike Naruta - AA8K