[TangerineSDR] Notes from PSWS / TangerineSDR call of 04-27-2020

John Gibbons jcg66 at case.edu
Tue Apr 28 11:56:28 EDT 2020

All,

With my mods, FLDigi has been working flawlessly for use by us.  There are
some things in the user interface you need to be aware of, and
unfortunately Phil got bit by a few of them.
I could get into them, but it isn't going to apply to us long term.

What version of FLDigi were you using?
FLdigi-4.1.12 (just released last Monday) was the first version that has my
improvements in it (that came from this WWV project), and I did use it for
the
FMT (and - shameful brag alert.....  had an error of 0.01 hHZ on 40M and
0.05Hz on 80M)  😵
It does work.  But as usual, the devil is in the details....

I'll be pushing out a report on a test I just completed on the Gen1 Radio I
designed for the low cost PSWS and using FLDigi shows how well it performs
for frequency estimation.
We've been using it since July 2019, and a lot of our data collection has
been done through this radio receiver (ALL of the data collection has been
using my modified version of FLDIGI-4-1.09).

My test was a COMPLETE 'system' test - from antenna input to file numbers
output.  I wanted to see how well the whole system was doing including the
freq analysis algorithm.

The 'final' version will be the algorithm extracted and customized for our
use.  *FLDIGI is NOT our long term solution* (it never was) - it's a
stepping stone.

With the processor / memory limitations of the low cost PWSW we will try to
do python code, but coming from 35+ years of designing embedded real-time
systems it will more likely be C / C++ code.
The reason is that an interpreted language (i.e. python) runs so much
slower (10x - 100X) and uses up so much more system resources that it bogs
down (and usually fails).
Also, depending on the interpreter to (not) getting an OS upgrade that
breaks our code is just a bad idea.         Been there.... been burnt by
it... don't want to do it again.
Having compiled code means WE control the updates and not the latest
release of an interpreter.

And Gen 2 of my radio will attempt to do 4 channels of WWV ( or some on
CHU) at the same time.. Running 4 instances of FLdigi simply is not an
option - it just will not work.

BUT,  the final software is being started with the tests being run now in
python, and concurrently I'm creating tests in C++.  Again, the OS overhead
of running an interpreted language for a real time
data acquisition is not done in industry for lots of good reasons with lots
of test cases to back it up.  If you want a reliable system, using an
interpretive language is simply not the way to go.

We have made some advancement in the frequency determination algorithm(s),
and even had one of our helpers try/work on implementing one in a MAX10
FPGA implementation.
He got interrupted this semester by having to teach a new embedded systems
IOT class, but hope to get that development back on track soon (stop
drooling Scotty😁🤔😃).

More to come later...

John N8OBJ

John C. Gibbons
Director - Sears Undergraduate Design Laboratory
Dept. of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science
Case Western Reserve University
10900 Euclid Ave, Glennan 314
Cleveland, Ohio  44106-7071
Phone (216) 368-2816 <216-368-2816> FAX (216) 368-6888 <216-368-6888>
E-mail: jcg66 at case.edu