[TangerineSDR] Tangerine licensing

John Ackermann N8UR jra at febo.com
Thu Apr 2 19:08:55 EDT 2020

Hi Dave --

That question opens a big door because there are something like 30
approved OSS licenses.

They mainly break down into two categories: "permissive" and "reciprocal".

Permissive licenses basically say you can use the code for anything you
want, and you can make changes without releasing them back to the
community.  In other words, a company could take your code, add their
own stuff to it, and then sell the combination as a proprietary product.
 The canonical permissive licenses are the BSD and MIT licenses (which
are virtually identical -- BSD is the most commonly used).

Reciprocal licenses basically say that if you make changes to the code,
including adding additional features or capabilities, *and* distribute
the changed code, you have to make the modified source code, including
all your additions, available to anyone who wants it, no questions
asked.  The canonical reciprocal license is the GPL, either v2 or v3.

Many companies fear and/or loathe reciprocal licenses because they are
afraid that by using the code they will have to disclose their own
proprietary stuff.  That can happen, and it's a valid concern, but there
are a lot of cases where that's not a meaningful risk.  But as a result,
many companies have a ban on contributing to or using code that's under
a reciprocal license.

Personally, I favor reciprocal licenses for most of my work, but
sometimes use permissive.  For example, we thought the TICC might be
popular with commercial customers and didn't want to scare them away, so
decided to license its firmware under the permissive BSD license.

You can make good arguments to take either approach.  My only strong
advice is to pick either BSD or GPL and not use one of the many other
approved licenses, unless you have a really good reason to.  Most of the
others just add complication to meet someone's perceived need.  I prefer
to keep it simple.

73,
John
----