[TangerineSDR] GPSDO Thoughts

John Ackermann N8UR jra at febo.com
Sun Sep 29 19:27:58 EDT 2019

Thanks for that Lyle.  The 570 is a neat device, but as you said is
stand-alone.

We were looking at the SiLabs 543x series clock generator/cleanup/driver
chips which are basically complex synthesizers with virtually arbitrary
input frequency and multiple independent outputs settable to anything
from 1 Hz to over 1 GHz.  The niftiest versions use a 48 MHz crystal
oscillator as a phase noise cleanup and can get to a pretty impressive
noise floor (something around -150 at 144 MHz) but not as good as the
Crystek 122.88 MHz VCXO.

But they're in the $13-18 price range (depending on type), have some
fiddly layout requirements (want a six layer board), and require
ultra-low-noise regulators at significant current, so as much as I love
the idea, I'm not sure it's the right choice, at least for a first-out
version.

For just a 122.88 output, the Crystek with a four-way output buffer is
cheaper and cleaner.  And we've learned what caused the PLL performance
problem in the Hermes-derived boards, so hopefully can avoid that this
time around.

73,
John
----