[TangerineSDR] DCC discussion list

Tom McDermott tom.n5eg at gmail.com
Fri Sep 13 09:28:42 EDT 2019

HI Phil - We certainly will need requirements on power & distribution
characteristics.

However I think we first may need a plan.

Question 1: do we operate off:
Option A: 120VAC input  (North America)
Option B: 120-240VAC input (Worldwide)
Option C:  + 12VDC input?    [ +12V means in my view  +10.5 to +13.8 VDC,
allowing a battery to be the power input. ]

In my view Option C is the easiest for project engineering, but requires
the user to generate +12V, battery charge, etc.
Given the possible worldwide AC variables, battery type and size variables,
etc., it avoids many issues.

If we were to choose Option C then, at the system level then:
Question 2 how do we create needed voltages:
Option 1. Data Engine regulates & distributes all the system voltages from
a single +12VDC  (11-13.8V) input.
Option 2: Separate DC supply derives all the needed voltages from +12VDC
(11-13.8V) input.
Option 3: Each module derives it's own voltages from a +12VDC (11-13.8V)
input.

-- Tom, N5EG