[TangerineSDR] PSWS Time Stamping Concept/ SBC clock set idea

Rob Wiesler rpw10 at case.edu
Tue Oct 22 22:58:03 EDT 2019

On Mon, Oct 21, 2019 at 3:27 PM Engelke, Bill via TangerineSDR
<tangerinesdr at lists.tapr.org> wrote:
> If we put the DE into GPSDO mode (so that it “arms” and then gets the time from the GPSDO PPS pulse), should we have the DE send this highly accurate time to the SBC, and set the SBC’s clock accordingly?  This might reduce confusion that could arise if DE and SBC have slightly different time due to the GPSDO being more accurate.   What do you think?

The extra jitter gained by doing that naively is probably not a good
thing.  However, so long as we have a GPS on board, we should be
configuring the SBC as a stratum 1 time server (which is a thing
people have been doing for a while) using the GPSDO/s PPS output (and
NMEA time sentences?  I've not done this before, myself).  That should
be more like what you want.