[TangerineSDR] PSWS Time Stamping Concept: maybe we should use the 128-bit time

Phil Erickson phil.erickson at gmail.com
Tue Oct 22 11:18:19 EDT 2019

Hi all,

   My experience is that floating point times can cause problems, and that
integer time stamps are much easier to deal with.  Are these times integer
or float?

  Also, is there a compelling reason why there is one time stamp format in
the data packet, and another one for the HDF5 DigitalRF recorded data?
Seems like extra work that might be unnecessary, since both have to keep as
coherent a time stamp as manageable.  That was part of our discussion on
the telecon regarding the data time epoch - the idea on the phone would be
that time is kept as (64 bit) time as seconds since the Unix epoch, plus a
fractional second say in picoseconds or nanoseconds or .. .

73
Phil W1PJE

----
Phil Erickson