[TangerineSDR] TangerineSDR Digest, Vol 9, Issue 12

Rob Wiesler robert.wiesler at case.edu
Wed Dec 4 00:39:07 EST 2019

On Tue, Dec 03, 2019 at 23:18:04 -0600, David Witten via TangerineSDR wrote:
> Points well taken.
>
> I didn't mean to suggest that the production project should use Web
> Sockets, particularly from Python.  Just that they were useful to me for
> testing.

That's what I figured.  I thought I'd take the opportunity to badmouth
Twisted and Autobahn anyway.

> Also I had not considered that anyone was proposing to deploy any of this
> facing the open web without serious firewall protection.  Frankly I'm still
> curious how proper configuration can ever be achieved for casual users
> without institutional resources.  Is it even possible to use something like
> Cloudflare for a project like this?  I haven't kept up with service
> provisioning at that scale.

I don't think we'll have much, if anything, directly facing the Internet
in this project.  When I mentioned using a reverse proxy like nginx, I
did so only for the sake of completeness.  We should be fine with
Waitress by itself.  Directly connecting a TangerineSDR to the Internet
(KiwiSDR-style) should be considered an advanced task.  Actually,
security gets a little better then, because such a user should actually
get an HTTPS certificate.

--
73 de AC8YV