[TangerineSDR] Scientist Comments on Receiver Requirements

Tom McDermott tom.n5eg at gmail.com
Sat Aug 24 16:23:35 EDT 2019

HI Phil, all,   I modified a VHF/UHF noise source to work down at HF,
and measured a receiver that I expect to act similar to ours (OpenHPSDR
Hermes).

The noise source produces 5 dB excess noise ratio (i.e. 5 dB over thermal
noise).
That causes the background noise level in the receiver on 80 meters to
increase
by about 1.7 dB (uncertainty about +/- 0.3 dB). That equates to a receiver
noise
figure of 8.2 dB (NF uncertainty about +/- 0.9 dB).   The noise bin size
was 23.4 Hz.

Thus I think the requirement text as written is correct.

-- Tom, N5EG