[nos-bbs] Slow/Clunky NETROM on JNOS

Chris Maness christopher.maness at gmail.com
Thu Feb 1 13:32:13 EST 2024

(* Cross posted from the JNOS BBS flood area *). I am not sure where
most of you guys are lurking.

I am wondering what the best NETROM parameters for an efficient

netrom link over a 1k2bps link.  My current setup is a but clunky

in comparison to a UROnode->BPQ32 link that I have on the same port.

I the link efficiency is decent ~80%, but a straight AX.25 -> AX.25 link

is much better.  When I use NETROM->NETROM with the native linux

stack and say BPQ32, cannot tell the difference between that and

a plain vanilla AX.25 link, but with JNOS this process is slow.

ENTER = continue, A = Abort, N = Next, C = remove paging -->

Here is the pertinent settings for my autoexec.nos file:

NETROM/AX.25  Settings

attach asy ttyq5 - ax25 vhf 4096 255 9600

#

# Attach to the kernel multiplex AX.25 port

#

#attach baycom vhf 255 ax0

#

ifconfig vhf description "vhf - 1200 baud port"

#

param vhf 2 63

param vhf 3 1

param vhf 5 1

#

param vhf TxDelay 25

ENTER = continue, A = Abort, N = Next, C = remove paging -->c

##################

start netrom

attach netrom

#  Place your CALLSIGN and ALIAS (NetROM Nodename) here:

#

netrom alias NTSNOS       # *MUST* be set the SAME as the 'ax25 alias'

netrom call K6HTN-3

#

#

#  Only enable these if using BPQ AXUDP Internet links if they have

#  been uncommented, above.  This sets the initial routing 'weight' value.

##netrom interface EATON 192

##netrom interface SAGINW 192

##netrom interface GRNVLE 192

#

#

netrom interface axi0 203

netrom bcnodes axi0

netrom bcpoll axi0

#

netrom interface lb0  203

netrom bcnodes lb0

netrom bcpoll lb0

#

netrom interface vhf  192

netrom bcnodes vhf

netrom bcpoll vhf

#

pause 5

#

mode netrom vc            # defauilt datagram

netrom minquality 161     # default 10

#netrom acktime 3000      # default 3000

#netrom choketime 180000  # default 180000

#

#netrom derate on         # default on

netrom hidden off         # default on

#netrom promiscuous off   # default off

#

#netrom retries 10        # default 10

#netrom ttl 10            # default 10

#netrom window 4          # default 4

#netrom tdisc 0           # default 0

#

netrom timertype linear   # default exponential

netrom irtt 15000         # default 45000

#netrom nodetimer 1800    # default 1800

#netrom obsotimer 2100    # default 2100

#netrom qlimit 2048       # default 2048

#

netrom g8bpq on           # default off

#

netrom route sort alias