[nos-bbs] PBBS User JNOS

Boudewijn (Bob) Tenty bob at tenty.ca
Sat Dec 30 20:26:08 EST 2023

There is the ? what bbs as regular users can enter what already sends the aliases, etc.
You can expand on that with the complete menu. Regular users (non bbs) are already receiving that.
Presently the bbs users sees this, you can make it the same.

?
Aliases: WINLINK WCONV USCALL XNET SYSOP NODE IGATE FBB DX BPQBBS BPQ APRSSTAT APRSC
Mail   : Area Kill List Read Send Verbose
Gateway: Connect Escape Nodes NRroute Ports PIng Telnet
File   : Download Upload What Zap
General: ?-Help Bye CONVers Finger Help Info IHeard
          IProute Jheard Mbox Operator Xpert

Regular non bbs users,

?
Aliases: WINLINK WCONV USCALL XNET SYSOP NODE IGATE FBB DX BPQBBS BPQ APRSSTAT APRSC
Mail   : Area Kill List Read Send Verbose
Gateway: Connect Escape Nodes NRroute Ports PIng Telnet
File   : Download Upload What Zap
General: ?-Help Bye CONVers Finger Help Info IHeard
          IProute Jheard Mbox Operator Xpert

HAMS:VE3MCH-6 Area: va3nld Current msg# 0.
WINLINK,WCONV,USCALL,XNET,SYSOP,NODE,IGATE,FBB,DX,BPQBBS,BPQ,APRSSTAT,APRSC,?,A,B,C,CONV,D,E,F,H,I,IH,IP,J,K,L,M,N,NR,O,P,PI,R,S,T,U,V,W,X,Z >

Bob, VE3TOK

On 2023-12-30 15:29, Maiko (Personal) wrote:
> Okay, so perhaps this is all that is needed :
>
>    #define J2_DONT_ENFORCE_BBS_USER
>
> in your config.h, then :
>
>    rm mboxmail.o
>    make
>
> This was a point of contention (perhaps) between Brian (SK) and myself,
> or partially related to this SP without a BID, you could try and use the
> above 'solution' to deal with the issue ? already forgotten about it :|
>
> The original JNOS probably allowed both, at the risk of a user trying to
> send a message without a BID ? because if you are marked as BBS, there
> was a risk of that, or something like that. I will have to take a closer
> look at this again, sorry - anyways, in mboxmail.c there is :
>
>    #ifndef J2_DONT_ENFORCE_BBS_USER
>      /* 24Dec2020, Maiko, for Red (PE1RRR) */
>
> So this alone might not 'fix' the real issue, just saying ...
>
> Maiko / VE4KLM
>
> On 2023-12-30 11:21 a.m., Lee D Bengston wrote:
>> My observation of how BPQ works is that designating a user as a BBS simply allows that user to receive forwarded messages from another BBS. When a user is not designated as a BBS, attempts to forward to that user from another BBS fail. Designating a user as a BBS does not impact the ability to manually connect and leave that user a message, i.e. do it without forwarding. That works all of the time to any user regardless of whether or not it is a BBS.
>>
>> I THINK "not enforcing the BBS bit in the user profile" would result in the behavior above, but I'm not 100% sure on that.
>>
>> 73,
>> Lee K5DAT
>>

>> On Sat, Dec 30, 2023 at 10:30 AM Maiko (Personal) <maiko at pcsinternet.ca <mailto:maiko at pcsinternet.ca>> wrote:
>>
>>     Yeah, I know, that's a pain actually, it's bitten me a few times as
>>     well. I'm sure there is a better way to do this, sigh ... If anyone
>>     wants to throw some ideas out on this, or tell me how other systems
>>     are doing this, I'm all ears.
>>
>>     Having said that, it might be a simple matter of me not enforcing the
>>     BBS bit in the user profile, that 'era' of change kinda eludes me :(
>>
>>     Maiko / VE4KLM

There is nothing permanent except change

-Heraclitus