[nos-bbs] JNOS rig control of frequency

maiko at pcsinternet.ca maiko at pcsinternet.ca
Sat Jun 4 15:18:11 EDT 2022

> Please confirm the following:
>
> •	The second interface would allow JNOS to simultaneously listen to
> both frequencies, logging all traffic and serving its BBS on both
> frequencies. (This one I am sure of.)

Of course.

> •	JNOS will not trigger a second radio to transmit at the same time as
> the first. (This was one of my earlier questions, and I honestly do
> not know the answer.)

There is no way for JNOS to know, especially in KISS mode, it sends the
data when it wants to send the data, so it has no idea when PTT is going
to be active or not. Unless it controls PTT direct for some of the more
recent code I wrote, but even then there is no 'check if another radio
is active' type of code. I could put in code, but that could possibly
introduce longer delays, since you still don't really know when the TNC
is going to PTT the radio ? I have no experience with this, but this is
what my sense would be.

But it gets worse, even if one radio is not transmitting, suppose you
are receiving a packet on the one, and you key up the other ? Signal
will most likely get WASHED out anyways by your own TX on the other
frequency ? Hopefully I am not making a fool of myself, it's been
years since we played with stuff like DIODE MATRIX interconnected
systems and the sort, that was a LONG time ago, oh my gosh ....

Either huge duplexor cans or TNCs that can be GPS sync'd (never heard
of that, but it would be cool, similar to motorola canopy systems).

Yeah, if anyone wants to better educate us, please do :)

> This would allow continued use of JNOS without additional work from
> anybody.

There would need to be some type of additional work in my opinion,
unless
you could somehow manage to separate the antennas really really good ...

Maiko / VE4KLM