[nos-bbs] Setting up JNOS with a KPC-3 modem

John Kristian jmkristian at gmail.com
Wed Mar 3 16:46:11 EST 2021

The problem isn't clear to me. For what it's worth, here's what works
for me, using a Kantronics KPC-3+. The AX.25 parameters are very
conservative, I'm told.

Before JNOS starts, make sure the TNC is not in KISS mode. I run a shell
command 'echo -e "\xc0\xff\xc0" > /dev/ttyS0'. This works for a
Kantronics KPC-3+ or a Timewave PK-96.

In autoexec.nos:

attach asy ttyS0 - ax25 p144 4096 256 9600
ifconfig p144 description "p144 - 144 Mhz - 1200 baud"
ifconfig p144 ax25 bbscall w3xsc-1
ax25 digipeat p144 off
ifconfig p144 tcp mss  216
ifconfig p144 tcp window  432
arp eaves p144 on
source p144.local
# Pause a sec to make sure the TNCs have time to reset
pause 1
trace p144 0111
ax25 bcport p144 on
trace p144 0111 ./logs/p144.trace 1000

In p144.local:

# Serial interface
comm p144 "xxx"
comm p144 "INTFACE TERM"
comm p144 "ABAUD 9600"
comm p144 "XFLOW OFF"
comm p144 "START $00"
comm p144 "STOP $00"
comm p144 "XON $00"
comm p144 "XOFF $00"
comm p144 "TXFLOW OFF"
comm p144 "TRFLOW OFF"
comm p144 "MONITOR OFF"
# Radio interface
comm p144 "HBAUD 1200"
comm p144 "XMITOK ON"
comm p144 "CD SOFTWARE"
# Services
comm p144 "DIGIPEAT OFF"
comm p144 "NUMNODES 0"
comm p144 "USERS 0"
comm p144 "PBBS 0"
# 'PBBS 0' causes a soft reset if not already set to 0
pause 2
# Identification
comm p144 "MYCALL w3xsc-15"
comm p144 "MYPBBS w3xsc-14"
comm p144 "BTEXT SCCo ARES/RACES W3XSC BBS - Mountain View - Offline"
comm p144 "BEACON EVERY 15"
# AX.25 channel
comm p144 "PACLEN 0"
comm p144 "MAXFRAME 2"