[nos-bbs] JNOS / WINLINK / AX25

M Langelaar maiko at pcsinternet.ca
Thu Jun 3 10:51:17 EDT 2021

Might as well chime in, it's been over a day and a half, heard nothing
(on list) ...

> *
> SCENARIO #1 an AX25 client connecting via JNOS*
>
> Can JNOS “publish” an AX25 service that other apps on the computer
> could connect to and use?
> Just a service available on a unix port would be perfect.

I've thought of a handshake system where apps could negotiate with JNOS
to auto configure
available AX25 ports, but never got to it, not sure if that even exists
with any ham radio software,
and if so, what RFC (or standard) is in use for universality ?

In the literal context, I would say no. We only have ax25 over ip, ax25
over udp, which
requires manual setup on both ends. It would be nice to see what others
say on this.

> This would let JNOS control the TNC and not have to share

Understood.

> a third-party app to connect to JNOS to get to and from the radio. So
> I could use Pat or Outpost and just
> configure that app to know where to find the AX25 interface.

That almost implies Pat or Outpost has a means of asking for an ax25
interface. Can you give
specifics on how it does this ?

> *SCENARIO #2 write a WINLINK client that uses JNOS*
>
> I know I could write Python scripts to connect to JNOS, authenticate
> and send/receive WINLINK protocol. My current Python scripts do that
> in a sense, as they connect to JNOS on 192.168.2.2 and then use JNOS
> to connect to a remote BBS and send and receive mail. My system does
> this dozens of times every day. Writing a WINLINK client in Python
> would take me a few days, but I wonder what other people think of this
> approach. (I have already tested connecting to 192.168.2.2 JNOS and
> then issuing commands to talk to a WINLINK station and issue commands,
> and all of that works just fine.)

You do realize JNOS has a Winlink (CMS Service) Client already and
supports multiple 'accounts' ?

What is it in Python you need JNOS to do then ?

Maiko / VE4KLM