[nos-bbs] NETROM REACHABILITY, INP2011 (INP3), and NRR

Jay Nugent jjn at nuge.com
Sat Jan 9 17:24:24 EST 2021

Greetings Maiko (et al),

On Sat, 9 Jan 2021, M Langelaar wrote:

>>  #define NRR        /* NRR (Netrom Route Record) feature */
>
> Works for some systems (Xnet and JNOS that have it compiled in), examples :
>
> [JNOS-2.0m.5F-B1FHIM$]
> You have 101 messages  -  81 new.
> (#6) >
> nrr ve3mch-8
> (#6) >
> *** route: VE4KLM-3 VE3MCH-8* VE4KLM-3
>
> If I telnet to Jack's system and I do the same to my NETROM call (that's
> important) :
>
>    Telnet session 1 connected to aa6hf
>
>    JNOS (aa6hf.ampr.org)
>
>    login: ve4klm
>    Password:
>    [JNOS-2.0m.5C-B1FHIM$]
>    >
>    nrr ve4klm
>    >
>    nrr ve4klm-3
>    >
>     *** route: AA6HF-4 VE4KLM-3* AA6HF-4

    I have been using what I call IPNR routes - IP over NetROM, by
following the steps spelled out in Ian Wade's book.  It only takes a
couple lines added to AUTOEXEC.NOS to implement it.

    In this example, I set up an IPNR tunnel over the NetROM network that
sits between SEOC and HGWASH jnos nodes.  Then I set up IP routing over
the top of that.  It works REALLY well :)

#
# IP encap over NetROM
#
# See: NOSintro page 261
# 181002 WB8TKL - First cut for SEOC
#--------------------------------------
#
# Tunnel from SEOC to HGWASH
#
route add 44/8 netrom 44.102.1.1
arp add 44.102.1.1 netrom wb8tkl-7
netrom route add EATON n8hee-5 145.76 192 EATON
#
# --- end ---
#

route add 44/8 netrom 44.102.1.1
    This sets up a 44/8 route to the HGWASH box (44.102.1.1)

arp add 44.102.1.1 netrom wb8tkl-7
    This sets up an ARP table entry that defines the NetROM route to
    wb8tkl-7 as the hardware address/interface to use that can reach
    44.102.1.1 (HGWASH)

netrom route add EATON n8hee-5 145.76 192 EATON
    This sets up a NetROM route entry that tells where our NetROM neighbor
    is (EATON) its NetROM callsign, value (192), and its name (EATON).

   A similar IPNR entry is in the AUTOEXEC.NOS on the HGWAS jnos box,
that uses the route entry to SEOC (44.108.104.8), uses the SEOC NetROM
callsign (ws8eoc-7), etc.

    We do this for any JNOS machines that *only* have a NetROM netrork
between them and the rest of the AMPRnet network.  The packets *are* a bit
longer and throughput is therefore a little bit slower than IP over AX.25,
but it is not the convienience it well worth it :)

    Enjoy!
       --- Jay Nugent  WB8TKL
           o ARRL Michigan Section ASM for Digital Technologies
           o Chair, Michigan Section "Digital Radio Group" (DRG)
             [ www.MI-DRG.org ]