[nos-bbs] NETROM REACHABILITY, INP2011 (INP3), and NRR

M Langelaar maiko at pcsinternet.ca
Sat Jan 9 12:49:58 EST 2021

I got asked about a few things, so maybe this will help others ?

 > #undef J2_NETROM_REACHABILITY

nope, it became very time consuming, then I kinda forgot about it.

This was a project I wanted to do that would actively got out and
make sure nodes in the netrom table were 'reachable', and if not
they would be removed, kinda like a garbage collection of sorts.

 > #undef    INP2011

this is INP3, yes, still read only, but many have reported stability issues
with it, and it too became very time consuming back then, the documentation
was horrible with regard to the protocol, and I wrote it based on some
linux code
from before that time. I've always meant to go back to it, but ... you
know ...

It was quite technical, overwhelming to work on, I don't think it was ever a
good implementation (read only just allowed JNOS to mingle with Xnet and
other networks, it never wrote any INP3 back to the system, thank god).

Feedback from people would be nice. I have received some from a few of
the veterans on here, but just never got to it .. usual excuses ...

 > #define NRR        /* NRR (Netrom Route Record) feature */

Works for some systems (Xnet and JNOS that have it compiled in), examples :

[JNOS-2.0m.5F-B1FHIM$]
You have 101 messages  -  81 new.
(#6) >
nrr ve3mch-8
(#6) >
*** route: VE4KLM-3 VE3MCH-8* VE4KLM-3

If I telnet to Jack's system and I do the same to my NETROM call (that's
important) :

    Telnet session 1 connected to aa6hf

    JNOS (aa6hf.ampr.org)

    login: ve4klm