[nos-bbs] JNOS and Direwolf

John Kristian jmkristian at gmail.com
Sat Apr 10 04:51:41 EDT 2021

Many thanks to those of you who shared your experience with Direwolf.

I experimented with Direwolf and JNOS, with ultimately good results. But
there were two problems to overcome:

JNOS needs to connect to Direwolf's AGW port (default 8000), not the
KISS port (default 8001).

I had to increase the MTU for the agwpe port, to handle 256 bytes of
data per AX.25 packet. This configuration worked for me:

ax25 paclen 256
ax25 version 2
attach agwpe p440 192.168.2.52 8000
ifconfig p440 description "AGW Packet Engine"
ifconfig p440 mtu 297

With smaller values of MTU (or no mtu configuration), JNOS would crash
when it attempted to send large AX.25 packets.

- John Kristian W6JMK