[nos-bbs] About JNOS SMTP, was 'Re: interesting - pop mail to read WW area :)'

Langelaar maiko at pcsinternet.ca
Mon Nov 2 10:31:21 EST 2020

Good morning,

There is NO ww account with regard to sending internet email
spam, remember JNOS has no SMTP authentication, it's pure
connect and send. The ww account is strictly a pop3 account.

This is the most important thing people need to know about JNOS
and it's SMTP, it's wide open, but keep reading, just be smart about
it. Either way I would not be sharing 'an account', that's just stupid.

I was thinking, good luck getting JNOS to talk to an internet email
service anyways, most of them now require SMTP authentication,
if not then probably you should not be doing that anyways ?

Michael's concerns about SPAM and JNOS, especially since SMTP
is NOT authenticated are valid, but if it helps any ? by default JNOS
will not 'relay' anything outside it's subnets. But that still leaves for
email clients within the JNOS subnets. You can restrict access to
the SMTP ports using tcp access for example :

    tcp access permit 44.135.124.16/32 25 25

    tcp access permit 192.168.200.10/32 25 25

where 44.135.124.0/24 is my VHF ip network,

and 192.168.200/24 could be the internal lan my JNOS sits on,
and there may be multiple clients on that internal lan, and so on.

In my case I am outside of the JNOS subnets, and the only way
into my JNOS system is via an openVPN connection. Once I am
in, JNOS will not allow SMTP, unless I (the sysop) put in this :

    smtp relay add 10.8.10.6 255.255.255.255

And you can see it in the logs when I access JNOS with
my android or PC or whatever coming in over the VPN :

    logs/29Oct20:02:05:39  - smtp [10.8.10.6] allow relay

Maiko