[nos-bbs] JNOS beginner, looking for direction

bill K7WXW K7WXW at qrpdx.org
Wed Jun 3 13:03:51 EDT 2020

GM - While I am a fairly adept windows/mac/linux user, know a little
about networking, and generally comfortable with breaking things, I am
stuck in trying to get started on JNOS.  What I'd like to do is learn
how to put up a packet node using JNOS that is connected, on the
internet side, through AMPRnet, to other systems.  I want to set up a
radio accessible BBS, pick up and deliver email, and learn what else is
possible with RF packet.  If I am on the wrong track and should choose
something other than JNOS to do this, it would be good to know that, too.

In an ideal world, my system would be running on a Raspberry Pi with a
couple of TNCs stacked on it...

Most of the documentation for installing JNOS I have found on the web is
a decade or more old and I can't really figure out if it is still
usable.  There's some stuff like the Michigan ARES website, but that
seems pretty specific to their needs. Unfortunately, I haven't been able
to find anyone locally that is actively doing packet radio, so I don't
have anyone nearby to bug with my questions.

If anyone here can point me to good resources that I am managing to miss
in my own search, I'd be most appreciative.

thx es 73 Bill K7WXW