[nos-bbs] JNOS error tracking new messages

Maiko Langelaar maiko at pcs.mb.ca
Thu Oct 18 21:07:43 EDT 2018

> Sorry, I should have been more clear.  In the problem I reported, I'm
> referring to public/shared mailboxes, i.e. those listed in spool/areas.

an area is essentialy a user mailbox, same index code.

> marked read or unread are based on the number stored with the
> userid/callsign in <mailbox>.usr.

To be clear, you start with numbers that are calculated based on what
is in the index, and you keep track of the last one (last one read) in
that usr file.

> easy to duplicate by simply changing the numbers in <mailbox>.usr

Curious if rebuilding an index would 'fix' the problem for the
particular moment it gets noticed.

I'll see what I can find :(

Maiko