[nos-bbs] Jnos memory leak with forwarding

Michael Fox - N6MEF n6mef at mefox.org
Wed Oct 18 22:07:29 EDT 2017

> On Wed, 2017-10-18 at 09:49 -0700, Michael Fox - N6MEF wrote:
> > Yes, exactly.  I've had the mailbox grow to over 100 MBs.  Others have
> seen it too.
>
> You're fortuante. I've had it shut down my box because the files were
> GIGs in size and my hdd was full.

That happened the first time, and memory utilization went to max as well and the machine would slow to a crawl.  That's why I thought of it with respect to Bob Tenty's issue.  Once I discovered that the real problem with the mailbox file size, I wrote a cron script to send email if disk utilization was high.  I was able to catch future situations before the disk filled up.

BTW, this only happened with mbox fbb 2; not with mbox fbb 0.

To Bob:  Your description with the .new file seems very similar to what I saw.  You might want to get the debug lzhuf.c file from Maiko and see if that catches your problem.

To Jerome:  this was different than your situation with lots of messages in the mqueue.  In my case, it was usually a @ww bulletin (like what Bob is reporting), so that one particular mailbox would grow huge.  If you looked at the actual mailbox file, you'd see everything was fine up to the message that caused the problem.  But then there would be 10s or 100s of MB of garbage (letters, numbers, unprintable characters, ...).

Michael
N6MEF