[nos-bbs] mbox fbb 2 errors with FBB

Maiko Langelaar maiko at pcs.mb.ca
Fri Apr 8 18:50:48 EDT 2016

> examples of errors reported between JNOS ("mbox fbb 2") and FBB ("N 2").

What is the reasons for running FBB with N=2 ?

Is this pure curiousity or is there a practical reason behind it ?

The fact that we are now doing N=2 testing and possibly calling the
results a bug (I'm predicting the outcome for those who have a sense
of humour), I need to point out that any so called FBB forwarding was
always based on the original F6FBB protocols and the original FBB
software, which did not even have these 'N=' type settings.

After the original FBB software was passed on to other developers by
the sounds of it (correct me if I'm wrong please), it sounds like a
few new 'modes' were introduced, but unfortunately those modes don't
work with JNOS, that's why the N=1 came up.

If people are expecting this to work for solutions other then N=1, there
might be a problem here then. I don't have time to entertain these new
modes unfortunately, really I don't. It's a lot of time and work. This
is a hobby to me, a labour of love, surely people can appreciate that.

JNOS with the original FBB software works fine, I have people running
the original FBB software and I'm sure there are many others on this
list, where things are working nicely.

> The connection is via telnet.  Since JNOS doesn't have a trace
> function for telnet like it does for AXIP or AXUDP ... used tshark
> to produce the telnet trace output.

If the telnet is over 44 connection, then 'trace encap 0x211 encap.log
1000', it will give you similar stuff to what tshark is. If it's over
the commercial IP addresses, then trace the 'tun' interface itself, it
just means you have to go through all the data and figure it out :)

I HAVE done this years ago, and in one case I found the software on
the other end was inserting an extra byte which screwed up the checksum
on the FBB session and I was never able to get forwarding to work in both
directions, only one. I am convinced it was a bug in the 'other software',
but I could never prove it beyond a shadow of a doubt. It was a linux ver
of FBB, not from the original author. I spent hours looking at my own
log files and could never figure it out, so I had to 'give up' on it.

Did I feel bad ? Yup I did, but it drained me.

So the question stands - why is N=2 so important to have working ?

Maiko