[nos-bbs] mbox fbb setting

'Gustavo Ponza' g.ponza at tin.it
Sat Apr 2 19:02:34 EDT 2016

> I wish some of the 'seasoned' guys would say something about this. Sorry
> if I'm putting any of them on the spot, but I've spent hours and hours on
> this stuff and it's getting frustrating trying to nail things down :(

I'm very sorry about this troubles, and first of all I want to TNX Maiko
for its efforts on support the hamradio community!

So, go ahead, the possible (so called) FBB flags are:

The flag option may be one of the following:

  *

    *0* > standard WA7MBL-style forwarding

  *

    *1* > FBB batched-style forwarding

  *

    *2* > FBB compressed and batched forwarding (B1F)

  *

    *3* > B2F compression for WL2K [only for jnos2.0f2 or later]

and since the B2F contains the B1F capabilities (owned by FBB and others)
why come back to 1980s by using the MBL style? No sense!

Since a few years after the progress on B1F and B2F made on the JNOS2
I removed the old setup and so in the JNOS-2.0j.7v era they remains:

#mbox fbb 0
#mbox nob2f <callsign> # not more needed as of JNOS-2.0j.4

in that situation the JNOS2 reply and confirm to us:

"Default to Mailbox FBB Style Forwarding: 3"

and the related SID shows the FLAGS "B2FHIM$".

About the forwarding capabilities of the actual JNOS2, my tests
and the daily forwarding confirm the full compatibility with the
linux xdfbb-7.0.8b (November 2015) and some (NOT ALL) of the
previous versions.

The 'telnet' setup on the side of xfbb should be:

# Linux AX.25 port
#P A
# Telnet port
P B
#
# No compression [N 0]
N 1
#
IF H 00-23
  S connected failure busy
  C C IR0RM-1 44.134.32.233 23
  V i0ojj$Wxxxnnnxxx$W
ENDIF

mandatory, for now, is to setup 'N 1'.

Note for Maiko: the problem seems reside on the fact that
the FBB and some other terminal packet programs need a
transparent TCP connection rather than the full TELNET
protocol.

On the JNOS2 side set the connection to:

# for xfbb 7.05g/7.0.8 [ir0aab-1] <- telnet fwd OK (N 1)
telnet 44.134.32.240 6300

For other PBBS software, FBB or not, the only way is
to forward via the AX.25: it function very OK; example:

ax25 xnet ir0aab-1 i0ojj-3

That's all!
1.00 AM here: good night!

73, gus