[nos-bbs] date written to index - should we force it to local time zone ?

Maiko Langelaar maiko at pcs.mb.ca
Sat Nov 14 21:04:17 EST 2015

An interesting issue directly related to the issue of BBS forwarded messages
having a different time zone than the local BBS, and causing possible expiry
problems (if expire future is enabled).

Whenever a message comes in, JNOS updates the 'date' field in the index file
to match the Date field of that message. The time zone unfortunately is not
known in the index, it's a pure numeric field. So if an incoming message is
7 hours into the future, is there any reason why we need to set the 'date'
in our local index file to that same 7 hours ? I hope I'm making sense.

So here is the question :

   Can anyone give me a reason why we should NOT force the 'date' in the
   index file to be written using the local timezone of the JNOS system.

Maiko