[nos-bbs] JNOS + ax25 stack = a necessity or not? FYI

Brian n1uro at n1uro.ampr.org
Sun Jun 14 11:37:14 EDT 2015

Greetings;

On Sun, 2015-06-14 at 08:22 -0700, MJ Inabnit wrote:
> Some major bugs have been reported on the ax25 tools on the debian
> list.  It's been interesting and has to do with later kernels after the
> 2.4 kernels.  Hoping to see some updated code in the not too distant future!

Its not with the packages, it's with the distribution. My downstream
contacts have been pushing to get all this fixed but their higher-ups in
the political ladder are preventing this. Debian is damn well aware
they're distributing amateur radio node software that a middle-schooler
can hack and gain root access, not to mention their ax25 apps/tools/etc
is still circa 2000ish.  Fedora on the other hand has come a very long
way, and their code is quite current. I've been one of the key players
working with DL9SAU and RedHat to insure things are flowing smoothly for
that distro in hopes Debian will want to catch up. Unfortunately the
Debian .debs also trickle down into Ubuntu, mint, and other offshoots.

--
Only in the United States could people scream that a GPS chip
in their arms is a violation of their civil rights - but they

73 de Brian Rogers - N1URO
email: (see above)
Web: http://www.n1uro.net/
Ampr1: http://n1uro.ampr.org/