[nos-bbs] rsync problems in Ubuntu 14.04

Michael E Fox (N6MEF) n6mef at mefox.org
Wed Feb 25 14:44:56 EST 2015

All,

I just installed Ubuntu 14.04 (64-bit) on a couple of machines.  Neither of
them can rsync to www.langelaar.net::jnos2

Here's what I get:

$ rsync -av www.langelaar.net::jnos2 .

rsync: connection unexpectedly closed (0 bytes received so far) [Receiver]

rsync error: error in rsync protocol data stream (code 12) at io.c(226)
[Receiver=3.1.0]

I verified that I *CAN* rsync from two different machines running Ubuntu
12.04 (32-bit).

I compared tshark traces of the Ubuntu 14.04 vs. Ubuntu 12.04 sessions.

On Ubuntu 12.04, Client initialization is version 30.  On Ubuntu 14.04,
client initialization is version 31.

Server initialization reports version 26 in both cases (of course).

On Ubuntu 12.04, a number of "[Malformed Packet]" entries appear from
199.87.159.143 but it still works.

On Ubuntu 14.04, those errors don't appear, but it may not get that far.

On Ubuntu 12.04, my machine terminates the session (sends [FIN, ACK]).  But
on Ubuntu 14.04, 199.87.159.143 terminates the session.

I did some searches on the error message but most answers appear related to
running inside an ssh session.  I didn't find anything relevant to this
situation.

Any ideas?

Michael

N6MEF