[nos-bbs] case sensitivity of MID/BID - discussion needed

Michael E Fox - N6MEF n6mef at mefox.org
Mon Feb 9 11:03:09 EST 2015

I think there are three parts to this.

1)  The first question to address is whether case sensitivity for MIDs/BIDs
is necessary or not.  I don't see this as a "consensus" issue but as a
technical one.  The BBS spec I've seen is dated Nov 9, 2012.  It does not
mention case at all with respect to MIDs or BIDs.  In other words, there is
no requirement for case sensitivity.  So, unless someone can point to a
specific technical reason why such a requirement should be added, then there
is no reason to change the spec.  And until the spec says it's required,
it's not required.  I think it's that simple.

2)  Next, comes implementing the spec.  I think this is simple, too.  If the
spec requires case sensitivity, then all BBSs would need to maintain case
during forwarding and compare based on case.  Otherwise, they don't.

3)  Lastly, if case sensitivity continues to NOT be required, then is there
a recommendation of what a BBS *should* do?  There are three options during
forwarding:

a)  maintain case (whatever MID/BID came in is what goes out)

b)  always set to upper

c)  always set to lower

This is where we can reduce the number of opportunities for a problem to
occur on BBSs that have not yet completed #1 and #2 above.  If we had a
clean slate, then option A would cause the fewest problems with any BBSs
that still compares case.  But I believe (not sure) that FBB may always set
to upper.  And evidently JNOS sets to upper except if fbb 0 is set.  So with
that installed base, perhaps the safest thing is to always set to upper.

Michael

N6MEF

Even if the consensus is to agree to case sensitivity, we still need to
get the systems out there updated. What a mess this might be.

So, let's talk about it ... the BPQ guys are, so perhaps we should too :)

Maybe after this discussion, then we could get the 3 or 4 maintainers
or authors to have an internal email talk about the results ? Or am I
being naive (even after all these years of doing this) ???