[nos-bbs] Message log jam

Jay Nugent jjn at nuge.com
Fri Mar 21 15:24:45 EDT 2014

Greetings,

On Fri, 21 Mar 2014, Wm Lewis wrote:

> Tried SMTP KICK (Nothing happened)
> Removed any 'lck' files, and re'kicked' (nothing happened)
> Removed all files except the sequence file, (in /jnos/spool/mqueue) then waited. New messages instantly jam again.
> Rebooted. No change, instant jam.
>
> Only thing that seems to get them going again is if I delete all files
> in /jnos/spool/mqueue *and* all files in /jnos/spool/mail
>
> Of course deleting the later files mean deleting every last message on
> my system. Not really the course of action I'm looking for.
>
> So, as of now, they are still back-logging in the /jnos/spool/mqueue
> directory waiting for some unknown force to kick in.

    If there are several messages stuck in the queue, and let's say that 3
of them cannot reach their destination, then those 3 will remain at the
top of the queue and block ALL REMAINING MESSAGES from being delivered.
JNOS does NOT push undeliverable messages to the back of the queue :(

    What controls how many messages are allowed to be in transit
simultainiously is "SMTP MAXCLIENTS".  In my scenario above, if this is
set to 3 then the undeliverable messages will block all others in the
queue.  If we up the SMTP MAXCLIENTS to 4, then the 4th msg in the queue
will be allowed to fly.  Once it is completed the next message (now the
new fouth message) will fly.

    But when you encounter a 4th message that is undeliverable, the queue
will again be jammed :(

    What we need is for the queue to push "undeliverable" messages to the
rear of the queue.  Let the messages that CAN be delivered get moved
toward the front of the queue and get sent.  Whether we rear-queue
undeliverables after one try, or two, or three might be open for
discussion.

       ---- Jay Nugent  WB8TKL
            Hamgate.Washtenaw.AMPR.org