[nos-bbs] Callbook lookup with JNOS and FCC data

Bill Vodall wa7nwp at gmail.com
Wed Mar 5 15:33:31 EST 2014

> I use an ALIAS link to the UALR (Univ. of Arkansas at Little Rock) online
> callsign database server.  mbox alias CALL "telnet callsign.ualr.edu 2000"

Thanks for the note Charles - good to see the ualr system still in operation.

However, I'm looking for a solution to provide services very much like
UALR does...  Something that would be hosted on the local box with
JNOS and not require Internet connectivity.     It won't be hard to
roll our own using UALR and Xastir as examples - I'm just checking to
see if somebody else has already done it.

I'm dreaming of taking this a step further - an Internet connected
station can pick up the daily FCC (DOC, etc) updates - and then share
(multicast) it on the air to other stations that are not Internet
connected...  That should expand easily to other databases with
frequent updates.

73
Bill, WA7NWP

PS.  JNOS is at home and I'm at work - the idea of a dedicated JNOS
RPI in the car is sounding better all the time...