[nos-bbs] MAXFRAME

Michael E Fox - N6MEF n6mef at mefox.org
Mon Jun 9 22:15:38 EDT 2014

Right.  Thanks Ken.

These documents are interesting:

http://www.tapr.org/pdf/DCC2009-DelayandDisruptionTolerantNetworking-EI7IG-G0HWW-Walsh.pdf

https://www.tapr.org/pdf/DCC2011-DelayTolerantAX25-EI7IG-G0HHW-Walsh.pdf

They reference at least one TNC that will not really make use of maxframe > 4.

The above papers also show diminishing returns for the throughput for each value above one (in a clear channel).  Going from 1 to 2 results in a little better than 10% improvement.  But going from 2 to 3, 3 to 4, etc., provides a smaller and smaller advantage, while incurring an increasing disadvantage when conditions are bad.  We’ve been using a compromise of maxframe = 2 in our network and it’s worked well.

But I just discovered that the Kenwood TH-D72A has the value hard-set to 1.  Perhaps that’s simply a cost reduction engineering choice.  But it reminded me of all of the references I’d seen (like the JNOS manual) that said 1 is ideal without any explanation.  It got me wondering if there was something I was missing.

Michael

N6MEF