[nos-bbs] including original message in replies, comment text in forwards

Jay Nugent jjn at nuge.com
Thu Dec 18 00:00:56 EST 2014

Greetings,

On Wed, 17 Dec 2014, Brian wrote:

> Michael et al;
>
> On Wed, 2014-12-17 at 11:15 -0800, Michael E Fox - N6MEF wrote:
>
>> Of course, options 3-5 won’t work for the average ham.  With over 90%
>> of desktops using Windows, it’s just not a practical option to expect
>> users to learn an entirely new operating system just to access one
>> type of messaging.  And adding a hypervisor into the mix creates a
>> third technology to learn.  Too much.
>>
> Now that you've basically verified my tagline that if M$ really wanted
> hams to use windows they'd have incorporated our protocols into their
> kernel - basically meaning ip protocol 4, now one must ask, is windows
> really the desktop platform hams should concentrate on using or should
> they upgrade to a linux distro, or should we retain backwards
> compatability?
>
>> I know that the Outpost developer has received a few requests to
>> implement a native AX.25 stack so that it could be used with KISS-mode
>> TNCs (such as the TNC-X).  I suppose if he went that far, he could go
>> a little further and implement BBS forwarding so he could actually
>> receive the whole message, headers and all.  This would make the
>> Outpost to BBS relationship more like the email-client to email-server
>> relationship.  I don’t know how much work that would be to implement
>> and support.  But I presume it would be non-trivial.
>>
> While that may be a hack work-around, they'd also need to install a
> means to encode/decode attachments as well. Since I've never seen that
> in an ax25 mail client, that may be trivial.
>>
>> So that brings me full circle back to wishing the mbox user interface
>> -- specifically the SC and SF commands -- were more capable.  Oh well.
>> Thanks again for clarifying.
>
> There's also a 6th option:
> At such thing as a bike race or community event,  You could install a Pi
> with a TNC-PI at a central location for example, and have that act as an
> amprnet router for the mini wan working the event. The Pi may be able to
> act as an ip protocol 4 filter and may indeed eliminate the need for
> AGWPE. I'm not a windows person by any stretch of the word but I would
> suspect as it could on a lan, it should be able to supply native 44-net
> to a wan if the engineering is available to do it.
>
> Once working, you can keep this Pi as a remote device for other events,
> and with it being so small it's easier to transport than a full desktop,
> and requires less power. Consider it your linksys/dd-wrt/cisco for your
> ax25 wan.

    The Michigan AMPRnet is already doing the Pi/TNC-Pi solution.  Small,
simple, low power, and after the initial configuration remains basically
hands-off and just sits on your home LAN.

    See:

http://ares-mi.org/downloads/Packet/Configure_Personal_JNOS/Configure_Personal_JNOS--Raspberry_Pi-JNOS-en-US.pdf

    Enjoy!
       --- Jay  WB8TKL
           ARRL Michigan Section, ASM for Digital Technologies

         () ascii ribbon campaign in
         /\ support of plain text e-mail

  o Averaging at least 3 days of MTBWTF!?!?!?
  o The solution for long term Internet growth is IPv6.