[nos-bbs] including original message in replies, comment text in forwards

Brian n1uro at n1uro.ampr.org
Wed Dec 17 20:27:44 EST 2014

Michael et al;

On Wed, 2014-12-17 at 11:15 -0800, Michael E Fox - N6MEF wrote:

> Of course, options 3-5 won’t work for the average ham.  With over 90%
> of desktops using Windows, it’s just not a practical option to expect
> users to learn an entirely new operating system just to access one
> type of messaging.  And adding a hypervisor into the mix creates a
> third technology to learn.  Too much.

Now that you've basically verified my tagline that if M$ really wanted
hams to use windows they'd have incorporated our protocols into their
kernel - basically meaning ip protocol 4, now one must ask, is windows
really the desktop platform hams should concentrate on using or should
they upgrade to a linux distro, or should we retain backwards
compatability?

> I know that the Outpost developer has received a few requests to
> implement a native AX.25 stack so that it could be used with KISS-mode
> TNCs (such as the TNC-X).  I suppose if he went that far, he could go
> a little further and implement BBS forwarding so he could actually
> receive the whole message, headers and all.  This would make the
> Outpost to BBS relationship more like the email-client to email-server
> relationship.  I don’t know how much work that would be to implement
> and support.  But I presume it would be non-trivial.

While that may be a hack work-around, they'd also need to install a
means to encode/decode attachments as well. Since I've never seen that
in an ax25 mail client, that may be trivial.

> So that brings me full circle back to wishing the mbox user interface
> -- specifically the SC and SF commands -- were more capable.  Oh well.
> Thanks again for clarifying.

There's also a 6th option:
At such thing as a bike race or community event,  You could install a Pi
with a TNC-PI at a central location for example, and have that act as an
amprnet router for the mini wan working the event. The Pi may be able to
act as an ip protocol 4 filter and may indeed eliminate the need for
AGWPE. I'm not a windows person by any stretch of the word but I would
suspect as it could on a lan, it should be able to supply native 44-net
to a wan if the engineering is available to do it.

Once working, you can keep this Pi as a remote device for other events,
and with it being so small it's easier to transport than a full desktop,
and requires less power. Consider it your linksys/dd-wrt/cisco for your
ax25 wan.

--
If Microsoft intended Windows to be for ham usage,
they would have incorporated our protocols into their kernel.

73 de Brian Rogers - N1URO
email: <n1uro at n1uro.ampr.org>
Web: http://www.n1uro.net/
Ampr1: http://n1uro.ampr.org/