[nos-bbs] AGWPE/JNOS

Bill Vodall wa7nwp at gmail.com
Fri Apr 4 15:17:44 EDT 2014

> The actual AGWPE does not run on anything newer than W2K. However there are
> a few other packages such as DIREWOLF and UZ7HO that emulate AGWPE thus
> allowing one to use client apps etc. Ultimately my modem of choice would be
> DIREWOLF on a Pi as it's a command line/curses tool that I can run in a
> "screen" session.
>
> I guess that most folks would not be running AGWPE for no other reason that
> they would have hardware modems. My idea is to allow sysops to deploy modems
> at Aunt Bertha's house without having to put an entire BBS there just so as
> to fill in a dead spot behind that hill near her house.
>
> Actually, it doesn't have to be an AGWPE interface that I connect to. Simply
> a remote modem would do. The Hansen TNCX-Pi is also OK. What I really want
> to do is connect to a modem remotely. I've tried a few tricks such as
> "socat" and "remserial" and whilst they work in UI mode they do not work in
> KISS mode. I'm wondering if the control characters are upsetting something?

There was something like this in the ax25tools of yesteryear - I just
can't remember it nor find where I was talking about it on the mailing
lists.  It gave Linux packet users the same functionality as the old
Telpac gateways.

Netcat is another option..  Maybe that's what I was thinking of.

The AGWPE style interface seems like the way to go.  Run the Linux
version 'ldsped' on the server and connect up to the distributed
TNC's.

Nice thing about the newer software TNC's is that higher speeds and
some error correction is available.  Both UZ7HO and Dire Wolf may do
some of 2400, 4800 and maybe even 9600.

Bill