[nos-bbs] MPS and Ping - good ideas from WL2K

Michael E. Fox - N6MEF n6mef at mefox.org
Mon Oct 21 16:34:08 EDT 2013

I always get a kick out of Winlink presentations.

They explain the need for Winlink as an EmComm option for when the Internet
is down.
But Winlink is dependent on the Internet.  It's such a non-sequitur that
it's almost laughable.
When dependence on the internet is mentioned, they tout HF between RMSs.  To
do what?  To connect to another RMS that does have Internet!
But HF is slow, prone-to-noise, prone-to-propagation-issues (constantly
changing skip zones), and the antennas are impractical at many sites.
I'm not saying HF isn't useful.  But it's certainly not a substitute for
VHF/UHF links to other BBSs nearby.
I fail to see why they can't use VHF/UHF between RMS stations.  Truly
baffling.

In contrast, we have a network of JNOS systems.  They all talk to each other
via VHF/UHF without the need for any Internet at all.  For years, they never
had internet links.  Now they all do.  So now, when the Internet is
available, they all perform email gatewaying, as well as talk to any other
BBS on the planet via either the BBS network or AMPRnet.  We don't currently
have any HF links, but we could add them if we saw a purpose for them.

Don't get me wrong.  I'm not against Winlink.  I just think it's a very poor
choice for EmComm.  But, an RMS station is MUCH easier to set up than JNOS
and AMPRnet and forwarding and iptables and Postfix and SpamAssassin and ...
etc., etc..  But it's also much more limited and as an EmComm system, it's
REALLY limited.  People interested in Winlink simply need to understand what
it is:  last-mile radio connections to Internet email.  If that's what you
need, it is far easier system to set up and maintain.  But most RMSs don't
have HF capability.  So if your RMS *and* your intended recipient doesn't
have HF, then when the Internet is down, you're still out of luck.

Michael
N6MEF