[nos-bbs] How open *.txt.gz files of the list

on4hu on4hu.0 at gmail.com
Sat Nov 2 09:16:04 EDT 2013

I use "mc"  (midnigt command) very easy for multiple use
André ON4HU

Le 02/11/13 14:02, Miguel Bahi Cruz a écrit :
> Yes, it works ok, with this double decompresion.
> thanks!!!
>

> > Date: Fri, 1 Nov 2013 17:13:24 -0400
> > From: n2jpq at arrl.net
> > To: nos-bbs at tapr.org
> > Subject: Re: [nos-bbs] How open *.txt.gz files of the list
> >
> > This is a double gzipped file (why? I do not know. but it is)
> >
> > Use gunzip on the first file -- 2013-October.txt.gz
> >
> > This will result in the following file -- 2013-October.txt
> >
> > Which is itself a gzipped file, so rename the file to -- 2013-October.gz
> >
> > Then gunzip the new file and you will get - 2013-October
> >
> > Which is a plain text file
> >

> > Regards,
> >
> > --
> > Rick
> > N2JPQ
> >

> > On Thu, Oct 31, 2013 at 9:53 PM, Bob Tenty <bobtenty at gmail.com> wrote:
> > > I used gedit and you will get a warning that there was a problem
> > > with opening the text file because of invalid characters but it opened
> > > it anyhow with Character encoding UTF-8 and did give you the option
> > > to retry it with another character encoding Western (ISO-8859-15)
> > > but the text is nonsense with both encodings.
> > >
> > > I tried it also with nano and the "converted from a MAC format" is
> by that
> > > program.
> > >
> > > I just emailed WA7NWP about it who is the administrator of that list.
> > >

> > > 73,
> > >
> > > Bob VE3TOK
> > >

> > > On 13-10-31 01:07 PM, Miguel Bahi Cruz wrote:
> > >
> > > ok, Bob, What text reader are you using?
> > >
> > > I try with gedit and open office writer with no success.
> > >
> > > With gedit I have warning but only displays, "detect auto char
> conversion"
> > > and don't works, and in the option of charsets, don't appear mac
> option.
> > >
> > > With office writer, I have mac chars , but it don't reads ok.
> > >
> > > 73
> > >
> > > ________________________________
> > > Date: Mon, 28 Oct 2013 16:26:43 -0400
> > > From: bobtenty at gmail.com
> > > To: nos-bbs at tapr.org
> > > Subject: Re: [nos-bbs] How open *.txt.gz files of the list
> > >
> > > Hi Miguel,
> > >
> > > I have exactly the same problem, it looks like the character
> encoding, can't
> > > read them automatically.
> > > in my browsers.
> > > I also downloaded one of the (g) zipped archived files and I can
> correctly
> > > unzip it with gunzip
> > > but the text is a mess.
> > > I only get a warning "converted from a MAC format" if I open the
> resulting
> > > .txt file , hmm and this is
> > > all in Ubuntu.
> > > (The old MAC format way before OS X used CR as line breaks)
> > > Same happens with the linux list at their site.
> > > Strange as TAPR uses Debian at their server.
> > >
> > > 73,
> > >
> > > Bob VE3TOK
> > >
> > > On 13-10-28 06:29 AM, Miguel Bahi Cruz wrote:

> [...]

forum => http://on4hu.be/phpbb/ inscrivez vous? New MediaWiki =>
http://on4hu.be/MediaWiki http://on4hu.dyndns.org:81/ http://www.on4hu.be/
ftp://ftp.on4hu.be/ ou ftp://on4hu.dyndns.org/ COMPUTERS ARE LIKE
AIR-CONDITIONERS THEY STOP WORKING PROPERLY AS SOON AS YOU OPEN WINDOWS.