[nos-bbs] E-Mail gateway issue

Michael Fox - N6MEF n6mef at mefox.org
Tue Mar 26 14:52:04 EDT 2013

Nope.  Rewrite does not change the actual envelope headers, only the local
JNOS mailbox routing.
It's simple enough to test this yourself.  Put in a rule that changes a
local address to something else.  For example:
n6mef	n6xxx
Then send a message with cc: n6mef (or to: n6mef with cc to an email
recipient - as long as a regular email recipient is in there somewhere)
The message will end up in the local n6xxx mailbox.  But, if you look at the
message, it still shows the cc: or to: address as n6mef and the email
recipient will still see cc: n6mef@<wrongdomain> (or to:
n6mef@<wrongdomain>) in the email headers.  The mail headers themselves are
not changed.

This is really an internal problem with the smtp mail client.

Maiko:  I know you've been able to resurrect other smtp commands buried in
the old code, such as the gateway exceptions.  I wonder if there might
already be something in there.  If not, could you correct the code to have
the SMTP client append "@<hostname>" to any local address, where <hostname>
is the JNOS "hostname" value configured in autoexec.nos (minus any trailing
dot)?

For backward compatibility, it might make sense to make it a configurable
option, such as "smtp append-at-hostname".  This might help those whose
rewrite rules currently don't account for a correctly formatted address.
But anyone who wants JNOS<>email functionality to work properly for their
users should adjust their rules to handle FQDN addresses properly.

Michael
N6MEF