[nos-bbs] KISS help...

jerome schatten romers at shaw.ca
Thu Jan 17 00:55:32 EST 2013

Hi... Running jnos2.0j on a Raspberry Pi. Everything works except my
radio drop RX data is somewhat garbled on RX. Garbled = dropped or wrong
characters and Bad Header messages....

Using a Prolific 2303 usb -serial converter. It works fine in native tnc
mode (KAM-XL) with minicom... no decode errors at all. But in kiss mode
the RX data is full of errors. From what I can tell, TX seems OK, as I
can connect to other stations instantly and disconnect instantly and
commands seem to be understood.

I've used the same hardware (but with jnos2i) on another computer and
both RX/TX work flawlessly in kiss mode. The model USB converter is
known to work with the RPi. I've also tried another converter, a Belkin
with exactly the same results.

There seems to be precious few parameters that one can play with in Kiss
mode. At the Jnos prompt, 'param vhf2' returns RTS 0; speed 9600.

My sense of this is that the converter is working OK, else it wouldn't
work in native mode. As well the TNC and the same converter work fine on
another computer, so it appears the hardware is OK.

I've kind of ruled out the converter dropping the supply voltage on the
Pi down to unreasonable levels, as the Pi/tnc/converter combo work in
native mode without missing a beat.

I am at a loss as what else to try. I can, with a good deal of trouble,
swap out the KAM for an old 1270, or compile a different version of jnos
2i instead of 2j,  but I thought I would check with the group before
that going off in these directions. What am I missing here?

Thanks for any suggestions...
jerome - ve7ass