[nos-bbs] Jnos under Raspberry Pi keeps crashing

jerome schatten romers at shaw.ca
Wed Feb 13 19:05:56 EST 2013

Hi...  I've been working on this for over a month, and I have finally
run out of things to try, so I need some help.

The Problem:

I have compiled from source (all defaults), various versions of Jnos for
the RP and they all compile without error (lot's of warnings, but no
fatal errors) and each produces a working executable. All jnos functions
seem to work, but after anywhere from a few minutes to a few hours (and
sometimes several days), Jnos crashes back to the operating system. It
never hangs the pi, it just unceremoniously exits.

In an effort to bisect the problem (hardware vs. software), here's what
I've tried:

1. Power supplies, various: from a 5v/1A wall wart to a lab-grade
regulated supply connected to the GPIO 5v pins; no difference.

2.  Burn a new SD card (tried various brands); no difference.

3.  Examined the jnos logs to see if there was a pattern to the
activities before the crash. Results don't seem to indicate anything
obvious. The actual crash could be many minutes after a logged event. Of
course not all events are logged, so that fact that all Mailbox activity
shows up a lot before a crash, can't be pinned to anything. That said,
there's one command that kicks jnos right out to the OS pronto and that
is 'mbox kick'. Bang jnos quits. Maybe this is the big clue?

4. apt-get update -> apt-get upgrade; then recompile and try new binary;
no difference.

5. download latest image, burn new card and repeat 4 above; no
difference

6. Remove USB peripherals one by one and rebooting; no difference.

7. Move jnos from SD card to memory stick; no difference.

8. Run in GUI terminal/Run without GUI in linux terminal; no difference.

What I have not tried:

1. I have not swapped out the pi

2. I have not run any memory (ram) diagnostics as I can't find any to
run.

In conclusion, I have no indication from running different apps on the
pi, that the pi is faulty -- no flakyness at all, except when running
jnos. Of course I don't have any apps that continually exercise the pi
the way jnos does. If you know of any I could try, please let me know.

As well, is there anything I can try to change in the compilation
process that might be useful?

Thanks for any suggestions!
Jerome - ve7ass