[nos-bbs] WIN32 JNOS (was Re: Help With JNOS on DOS)

Demetre SV1UY demetre.sv1uy at gmail.com
Tue Feb 12 11:21:41 EST 2013

Hi Maiko,

Your WIN32 JNOS version should be ableto work with UZ7HO's Soundmodem which
uses AGW's API  and is a fantastic HARDWARE TNC replacement for HF PACKET.
Infact this soundmodem has 2 channels (our soundcards are STEREO) and works
FB FB FB on 300, 600, 1200 and 2400 bauds. You can use one channel on HF
and another channel on VHF/UHF. It beats the crap out of AGW or MULTIPSK on
HF PACKET and is even better than older Hardware TNCS except for the SCS
Tracker.

Also if you have a decent CPU you can activate up to 8 pairs of parallel
decoders every 30HZ so you can have up to 17 paraller packet decoders every
30HZ (this is adjustable but 30HZ is the default and best setting) and
hence decode every packet signal +/- 240Hz off your center frequency in a
very similar fashion to what the Hardware SCS Tracker can do on 300 baud HF
Packet today (SCS Tracker can decode signals +/- 400HZ of the center
frequency). This is good because many packeteers on HF are very rarely
tuned exactly on frequency and this is one of the reasons why HF PACKET is
not of much use today

Also it can decode packets nearly as good as, or as good as an SCS Tracker
(I use it nearly and have seen it in action) and it is definately far more
superior to any other HF Packet TNC I ever had my hands on (KAM, PK-232
etc). No comparison in what this little program can decode and it is
FREEWARE and even better it is a portable application, i.e. you just copy
the executable (soundmodem.exe) to a directory where you have write
permissions (important you don't use "C:\Program Files" in a Windows 7 box,
I use C:\AmateurProgs for all my Amateur Radio stuff in Win7) and just run
it from there. It doesn't even need installation. Just run the program from
it's directory.

You can even use CheckSR.exe  to calibrate your SoundCard if you want
better decoding/encoding results.

This nice UZ7HO program can be found here:
http://uz7ho.org.ua/packetradio.htm

CheckSR.exe can be found here:
http://www.pa-sitrep.com/NBEMS/fldigi_calibration.htm

I think Andrei UZ7HO has done a marvelous job. I use his SoundModem
everyday for HF APRS on Net14 (14101.30 KHZ Center Frequency) with APRSIS32
APRS program.

Awaiting for your Win32 version.

Keep up the good work Maiko.

73 de SV1UY