[nos-bbs] New 2.0j.3 Winlink smtp feature

Bill Vodall wa7nwp at gmail.com
Tue Aug 27 14:27:44 EDT 2013

> > The "smtp:" prefix *may* be used by Winlink clients to designate that
> the email goes out to the SMTP world.  But, again, that's is for messges
> from Winlink *TO* SMTP, as the prefix suggests.  JNOS is the REVERSE
> direction:  from SMTP, *TO* Winlink.

It depends...    If JNOS is sending a message on Packet, to the Internet
world, via a Winlink2000 gateway - then it is acting as a Winlink Client.
Years ago, the last time I tried this, the 'smtp:' was required and the
fact that JNOS did not add it when sending out through a wl2k system was a
show-stopper.  It meant JNOS could not take advantage of the wl2k access
points as an alternate outgoing path.

I haven't tried in some time but I believe this 'smtp:' requirement is
gone.  It did seem pointless.  If there's an '@' in the address, then it's
SMTP.  If no '@' - then it's a local Winlink address.

> So even if JNOS needs some way to initiate a different set of handling
> rules when sending to Winlink, the prefix "smtp:" would not be right.

On 'packet' it 'would' have been needed.

> > But even Winlink doesn't "require" the use of the "smtp:" prefix.  I
> sent messages using Outpost connected to the CMS with telnet and they
> worked with and without the "smtp:" prefix.  So, it's evidently not even a
> requirement for Winlink clients!

I believe this is the change I'm mentioning.   There may still be different
rules for Telnet vs RF access.

> > Winlink DOES impose a subject line restriction (must start with
> "//WL2K") but that has nothing to do with the address.

That is a user level convention used to reduce spam.  I don't believe that
should be programmed into an user application like JNOS.

> > Perhaps to move this forward, I'll ask this question:
> > What EXACTLY does JNOS do differently if I address a message as
> "smtp:user at domain" vs. just "user at domain"?

Wouldn't that be a no-op for JNOS.   We could use the rewrite rules to just
ignore it.   It might be useful to do that if folks were using Winlink
client with JNOS.   We need to check on the if the smtp is of any use..

> > Michael
> > N6MEF

Bill