[nos-bbs] How to run jnos in Ubuntu?

Michael Fox - N6MEF n6mef at mefox.org
Mon Nov 19 14:20:51 EST 2012

LOL.

Well as for low power, I can tell you that our JNOS/Ubuntu 10.04 desktop
systems run on Atom 330 systems powered by 12v.  The sites have backup
generators.  But a couple of years ago, one site had a power outage during a
big snow and the transfer switch failed.  So ... no power.  And the snow was
so deep that no one could reach the site for days.  Our JNOS and radios
hummed along just fine for about 4 days until someone was able to finally
make it to the site to manually throw the transfer switch.

We run JNOS in a screen session so we can attach and detach from the JNOS
console from anywhere - even plain old ssh.  ;-)  Normally, the desktop
session is shut down and the monitor is turned off.  For me, it's just nice
to be able to turn on the monitor and get to work if I'm up at the site(s).
But the monitor, keyboard and mouse do take up room for only occasional use.
(And here, in earthquake country, I have to strap the monitors down so they
doesn't topple over and smash something in the event of a little shimmy.)
So I understand why people may prefer not to have it.

Michael